Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mother's Day Musing: Finding Fulfillment in Life through Making

Sounds philosophical and cerebral, doesn't it?  But it really isn't.  Please humor me for a few minutes. 

I'm pretty new to knitting, but I'm going to guess that finding fulfillment in knitting--or any hobby, for that matter--is why most of us keep doing it.  Okay, that and squooshing soft, beautiful yarn.  And then buying and hoarding it. 

But I digress.

Knitting brings joy to the knitter AND the recipient of the knitted goody.  (At least, we hope!)  For me, making something with my hands for someone else is the only genuine way of showing someone how much I care. 

I admit that my sentiments aren't shared by everyone; they're a by-product of my upbringing.  My mom has always been a maker.  She bakes cookies, cakes, and quick breads and sews.  She gives her goodies away to people who are in need, having a bad day, or celebrating something great.  Maybe that's why I feel it's more genuine to make something than to buy something. 

My mommy and me
Whatever the reason, a lot of you out there feel the same way. 

So what's the point of my rambling?  Simply to encourage you to keep making for others.  Make for your family, your friends, and for strangers.  Not just because it makes you feel good, but also because it's a sincere form of showing love and caring to others. 

I've recently started knitting baby hats and socks for a mission outreach at my church that's aimed toward moms who are unexpectedly expecting or who have hit hard times.  I don't think you have to be a religious person to understand the necessity and value of showing love and caring to total strangers.  It's what separates us from the beasts in the wild.

Shibui baby hat and socks from Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders
So, please keep making.  Make for your family, your friends, your coworkers, your neighbors, and total strangers.  And please share your making with me in the comments below!

Happy Mother's Day, makers!

No comments:

Post a Comment