Friday, May 1, 2015

Knitting: Handspun Fish Lips Kiss Socks



Lately, everyone seems wild about the Fish Lips Kiss Heel by Sox Therapist. I am working on my first pair, and so far find it a wonderful method for knitting handspun socks. The main reason is that you can knit them in your own custom gauge, and don't have to fuss too much about the actual weight of your handspun sock yarn. I have had a little trouble keeping track of my cardboard foot - thanks to my 9 month old who likes to chew on it... and I am pretty sure my lines are a little off, but here's hoping that my socks turn out ok!

Fish lips kiss


















I am almost to the heel portion, and am happy that I can customize it a little for my high arch... at least that is what I am hoping! The patterning is a simple garter rib (Row 1: K3, P2/ Row 2: K) that I will carry up the length of the sock - super mindless sock knitting!

This was also my first time spinning for socks, and my method was very crude: spin as thin and possible and chain ply carefully. I used a mixed breed wool supplied by my dear friend Dawn of Daybreak Dyeworks, and when spinning for socks you really need a coarse hard-wearing wool or a wool blend that includes nylon or other synthetic fiber that will add strength.

Handspun sock yarn

I am using the top two hanks in this photo for my socks, the future of the bottom two is still to be determined - maybe more socks. Overall I have really enjoyed the process of knitting socks with my handspun. They are nice and dense and springy, and they feel wonderful when I try them on. I can't wait for them to be finished!

Have you joined the Fish Lips Kiss Heel fan club? Have you knit handspun socks?


1 comment:

  1. I haven't done that heel, but I do love socks from handspun!

    ReplyDelete